My First Webinar

Connecting with people around the world...

I was super nervous… Shelly had talked me through it but still… very nerve-wrecking, especially because I was filling in for shoes way to big for me ;-) But with the help of some fabulous friends and PLN (the line between the two gets very shady for me sometimes) I pulled through and I thought I did ok. We had educators from all over the world attending and everybody was super participative.

My special thanks go to Shelly for trusting me to fill in for her and for suggesting my name, to the American Tesol Institute for giving me the chance, to Mike Hogan who “held my hand” and with his webinar expertise gave me very important and useful advice and to other members of my PLN who were there supporting me. You guys are awesome and I owe you!

And if you’re wondering…. here’s the recording, so you can judge for yourself… please, I’d love some feedback on things I could’ve done better. I already got the suggestion of getting a new set of (better) microphones, which I will do soon :-)

26 comments on “My First Webinar

1. loved it! many great ideas for teaching writing! tks for the contribution ;)

2. seburnt says:

I was there, of course! I think your topic was engaging, informative and organised. There’s not a lot more you want to ask from someone leading such a short webinar. Aside from the mic issue, I would only suggest a little crowd management during the Q&A.

• Thanks Ty :-) The new mic will get rid of the Darth Vader effect – which might be amusing in certain circumstances, but not for a webinar…gotta get ready for RSCON! As for the suggestion about the Q&A crowd management…noted. I know exactly what you mean by it and I think you’re absolutely right… It was my first reflection post-webinar. Will work on it ;-)

3. Lucas Pires says:

Perfect amount of info for the time you had… and I must say that I really liked the Darth Vader effect, empowered your speech.

4. Marcia Lima says:

I do wish I’d been there “live”!!! Will “savour” the recording as soon as time allows. I don’t wanna multitask while I watch it. Wanna enjoy every single word. I’m sure you’ve done an amazing job, Cecilia. You make me proud(er) of being Brazilian! ;)

5. Dara says:

Great webinar! Shelly was right in trusting you ;-)
    Thank you!!

6. So glad you posted this as I was unable to attend.
    Very useful ideas there. I am still pondering how to adapt yours & Tyson’s experience with writing feedback. I REALLY like the idea of putting the mistakes on a page without names. However, I currently have only about 8 pupils writing proper essays and they don’t study together (learning center, they come at different times). Without the group effect I’m concerened that pupils working on the feedback page on their own will say that they shouldn’t have to bother with mistakes they didn’t make. Or complain that I am embarrasing them by using their mistakes…
    Great first webinar. I’m sure you will find it easier to deal with crowd management next time!

• seburnt says:

If no names are given, there can be nor rational embarrassment, right? Besides, using errors from every student on this feedback page levels the field, even by showing that various proficiencies still have learning to do. Along the same lines, though not all of them are -their- mistakes, they can be a nice assessment and potential teaching opportunity with examples you didn’t have to make up yourself. If students feel the lack of motivation to work with others’ errors, you could show gaps in their knowledge or even type them up and pretend that they are just part of your lesson.

• Sounds like sound advice. particularly like what you said:
        “a nice assessment and potential teaching opportunity”

I’m certainly going to experiment with this – thank you!
        Naomi
        P.S No experiments till September, hurrah!

• Love Ty’s suggestion Naomi, and it’s the one I was going to give.. so thanks Ty! And Naomi for the feedback!
        x Ceci

7. Lu Bodeman says:

I enjoyed it, so far (still very busy). Had never watched a webinar before [quite frankly, didn't even know they existed! LOL] Will finish watching when I find the time. Again, good job. And I’ll try and be there for the next one.

8. shamali288 says:

I like yr way of presentation. It was wonderful, supportive and thought off.
    Writing is neglecting skills in our schools in Jordan. It was given as a homework and never be marked or proofread. But the webinar was full of activities than writing can be taught in a fun and more interactive way.
    Thanks Ceci.

9. Ceci – You have such beautiful voice and intonation even a lousy mic can’t get the better of it :-) I’m afraid it’s bookmarked for the moment, but looking forward to finding the time to listen right through – sounds really interesting
    Amitiés

• Thanks Elizabeth! I’d have to disagree about the voice – we all feel our voices are not really our own when we hear ourselves speaking… Hope you enjoyed the webinar when you finished watching it!
      x
      Ceci

10. It was really nice recording .I hope you best of luck

11. Marisa Pavan says:

Congratulations, Ceci! I’ll watch the recording of your webinar and comment on it. Anyway, I’m sure you did very well.

Hugs from Argentina!
    Marisa

12. David Warr says:

Lida and I have just had a nice time watching you, Ceci!

13. [...] Connecting with people around the world…   Last Friday, June 3rd, I had the wonderful opportunity to present my first webinar. My dearest friend Shelly Terrell presents a webinar every Friday for the American Tesol Institute and since she would be traveling last friday she suggested to them that I do the webinar, and they invited me… (thanks for the vote of confidence!) My First Webinar [...]